Friday, April 06, 2007

Finally A Documentary Double-Feature About The Twin Menaces Of Psycho Stunt Drivers and Government-Created Zombie Invasions!


Growing up in McComb, Mississippi (go Tigers!), our grindhouse was the "Ren Drive-In" in the seventies, before it was torn down, to make way for something...
...something that things that are torn down usually are torn down to make way for.
I dunno, I haven't been back there in a while. Ask my dad he'll probably know.
The point is, at one point every town, especially small towns had a place like this and in big cities they were former downtown movie palaces called "Grindhouses".
And while I was a little too young to see "Satan's Cheerleaders" when it came to town on a double bill with "It's Alive", I have seen a bunch of these things on video and in revival houses since.
I hope this movie is success, so Tarantino and Rodriguez can revisit this in a couple of years with the full-blown feature versions of the trailers in this thing that they had Rob Zombie, Edgar Wright, and Eli Roth do.
2 words. Awe. Some.

2 comments:

Mona Buonanotte said...

The demise of the drive-in movie theatre has surely led to the downfall of society. I remember seeing some adult-type hippie/drugs movie at age 6 in the back seat of my uncle/aunt's car...totally wrong, but still...I couldn't look away....

your fiend, mr. jones said...

I never saw anything at The ren that wasn't Disney's "Robin Hood" (the one with Roger Miller as Alan A Dale as a singing rooster minstrel)or "Willy Wonka..." (very intense for a kid of 6... very intense, but in a different way, for me now)