Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Let's all say a few prayers for the friends and family of Stan Winston...

I met him in the late nineties when a fiend of mine had a development deal with him on a script he had written. So I get this call saying "How would you like to meet Stan Winston and tour his studio?"

And, of course, I go. Don't act like you wouldn't.

Well, Stan Winston turns out to be this really nice kid with grey hair. I mean, he acts like he was just given the keys to the kingdom. Which is how I would be, I think, if I was just starting out and I had a cool gig like special effects for some major film.

But Stan Winston was a 20+ year veteran at this point. And there he was pointing out all of these great things at his studio, like the Edward Scissorhands statue, a Spiderman statue, the Terminators from both 1 and 2, the Predator and the Alien from Aliens.

He loved his work.

And he went way above the call for all of us geeks who were there that day.

No comments: