Wednesday, June 18, 2008

...And for Cyd Charisse.

I saw her at the West Coast Premiere of the Woody Allen film "Everyone Says I Love You", a decent little musical comedy. Miramax (or "Oh Those Weinsteins!") had invited actors from Miramax films (Michael Madsen, Rose McGowan), from Woody Allen films (Martin Landau, Carry Fisher) and from movie musicals (Gwen Verdon, Robert Morse). And Tony Martin and his wife Cyd Charisse. She was done up to the nines (well they all were, it was a premiere) and looked like a million dollars. I was working for the theatre holding the premiere and everyone was very nice. It was great to see Charisse who was dynamite in the MGM musicals she was in. My favorite of those is probably "The Bandwagon" with Fred Astaire.

This clip is from her dance (she was always dubbed in her singing) during the opening credits of the Dean Martin spy movie "The Silencers". She was 45 years old when this was made.

3 comments:

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, like thanks so much for sharin' that cool vid of Miss Cyd dancin' in the Dinocaper "The Silencers...loves our Dino...never was, never will be anyone as cool as the King of Cool...oh, to return to the days when Dino walked the earth...

your fiend, mr. jones said...

Thanks pallie... as longtime readers (all five of you) know, I am a huge Dean Martin fan.

Yes, I do weigh a lot, but I also enjoy the works of Dean Martin too. Smarty.

Anyways, thanks for the shout out. I was trying to pick a clip of Charisse that wasn't something you'd see a lot of and I remembered how well she,um, "sets the mood" in "The Silencers".

Yes, that's a euphemism.

No, I don't know what it means.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Ah..those legs!