Monday, January 07, 2008

YearEndBestOfBlahBlahBlah2007- Music

When I think about the music that's really moved me, it's mostly tracks off of cd's. So following the example of Schinders in her blog,(and she was following someone else's example I believe... ah blogrolling in our time) here's mine...
Mary Gauthier's "I Drink" off her "Drag Queens In Limousines" is the best country-western "tears and beers" song I have ever heard. Run, don't walk, to listen to this.



Morricone's "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". "L'Estasi Dell'oro" (The Ecstasy Of Gold) and "Il Triello" (The Trio) equals his work on the opera that is his "Once Upon A Time In The West" soundtrack. It certainly bests the the theme to this seminal must-see spaghetti western.

And I've been listening a lot to the perfect seventies country-pop of the "Falling In And Out Of Love"/"Amie" medley plus the not-as-well-known "Boulder Skies" off of Pure Prairie League's "Bustin Out". I don't think these guys ever surpassed this, their first album, even though they did have some hits in the late-seventies. You like The Eagles's "Desperado" ? This is like that, but without the cocaine.
I was reminded by seeing "The Darjeeling Limited" how much I love Wes Anderson's soundtracks. I began with the "Rushmore" soundtrack which contains so many great sixties pop (mostly British invasion, but also Cat Stevens, Yves Montand, Zoot Sims and Mark Mothersbaugh's score) tracks it's hard to narrow it down to two or three. I intend to listen to "The Royal Tenenbaums" next.

Then the world.

No comments: