Thursday, November 08, 2007

From the You Tubes... WGA Strike- "The Office is Closed"

I'm no writer (to which the readers respond "hmmm... y'think?")- in the Writers Guild of America, but I remember the Screen Actors Guild strike a few years ago against commercial producers. I was living in LA at the time and, for some reason that I'm still not sure about, got calls from commercial casting directors to see if I would be interested in coming for auditions.

And I had never been up for any commercials in LA before. At all. Like I said, I'm still not sure how this happened, but it was creepy gravy on top of an incredibly stressful for time for a lot of fiends of the future Mrs. J and myself.

I would never have considered being a scab anyway, but this was just so... weird.

I love "The Office" (and BBC's original that NBC's is based on) and I believe in what the writers are striking for. Please read books or listen to the radio ("Because we're senior citizens?" you query.) for entertainment right now, or, if you have to, the intranets.

Getting management to do the right thing (instead of creepy scab things*) is always hard. Support from the public is crucial at a time like this.




*"creepy scab things" is, coincicdentally, the name of favorite punk rock band.

No comments: