Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Future Jones Would Like All Of His Fans To Wish His Grandude Bob A Speedy Recovery!

My dad was in surgery yesterday for an aortic aneurysm, which was discovered a little while ago during a physical.

Needless to say, I'm a little freaked out.

Luckily, he has come through with flying colors and is resting comfortably-ish today. He told me he has some of the worst pain he's ever had, but I'm sure the doctors will bow to his request for opium to smoke. Or maybe some absythne.

My dad is the hippest guy in his hometown. If you don't believe me, just ask him.

Seriously, I hope the pain goes away and he goes back to being one of the funniest guys I know. I mean he's funny now (major illnesses bring out the funny in the Jones men), but he probably would feel better about being funny if he didn't have to suffer for it.

Kind of the way I felt about stand up in LA.

Lazy, that's me.


Currently watching...

1) "The Complete Mr. Arkadin"- This is the last major dvd collection I'm going to get for a while. Not because it's brilliant (it's not the best Welles re-discovery I've seen... that would have to be "F For Fake" last year from Criterion), but because Future Jones is my focus and he needs to be the priority for your fiend, Mr. Jones. I liked this collection of the different versions of Welles' late fifties unfinished (as most of his films were... he tended to get in his own way as much as outside forces would try to take his films away from him) thriller, but I find it to be more of an abstract curiosity than a some new-found cinematic treasure. Former great filmaker/professional friend Peter Bogdonovich puts it best in one of the many extras on the dvd, when he says that as much as the new versions are of interest, he would be much more excited about a director's cut of "The Magnificent Ambersons", using the footage that Welles had shot for the final act of this version of Booth Tarkington's novel.

2) "Boston Legal"- Why won't you watch this show? And I am talking to all five of you. James Spader, William Shatner, Candace Bergen. Rene Auberjonois. Carol Vessey from "Ed". David E. (Mr. Michelle Pfeiffer) Kelley doing some fo the best writing of his career. I'd send you the Season One dvd, but I just said I'm not buying anymore dvd's for awhile. So it's up to you at this point.

Hopefully coming up, I'll write about more favorite films as I promised a year ago.

1 comment:

Matt Janovic said...

Oh man, I love it. It is flawed, especially in some of the dubbing, but it reminded me of Touch of Evil a lot. He really was his own worst-enemy, that is so true. The reason he was pulled from the film by the producer was that he was taking too-long with the editing. It's probably because he was doing multiple-cuts of the film, which is why I think there are so many versions. It existed in multiple-cuts, some by Welles.