Saturday, July 02, 2005

Please Tell Me I'm Not The Only One Who's Excited About The Movie Version Of This Show... Hey, I Said "Please"


Lately, I've spent a lot of time watching tv shows on dvd. Because that's what creative geniuses like myself do, when we're not listening to old radio shows or writing transcripts of old radio shows. ("Why don't you just audition for a play?" you ask... I stare at you and then reply defensively "Why are you changing the subject from my current obsession?")

Out of all the ones I've watched, the one that's become really important has been "Firefly", the cancelled (Fox's idea... they didn't think it could take the "heat" of the show "Fastlane"... "What?" you ask confusedly... "Exactly", I reply) 2002-03 Joss Whedon-created space western. The thing I love about this show is how it's not about noble members of a human federation, boldly exploring... blah, blah, blah. That would of course be "Seventh Heaven". It's about a group of smugglers, the passengers on their ship who are fugitives, or preachers who know a lot more than their telling, or whores and the adventures they get into while working whatever the next (usually illegal) job they're on.

In other words, it's about what was missing for me in all of Lucas' "Star Wars" prequels. It's about the Han Solo. And on "Firefly", there's a whole crew of them. There's stupid Han, played by Adam "My Bodyguard" Baldwin, there's pilot Han played by Alan "Steve The Pirate" Tudyk, there's Captain Han, played by Nathan "Not One of 'Two Guys, A Girl, and A Pizza Place'" Fillion... and, as a balladeer once sang, sort of, there's "the rest".

Please rent this if you haven't seen it. And if you like it, please go see the movie "Serenity" (named after the ship... you see a "Firefly" is the type of ship it is, but what they called the ship is... sigh, just watch the dvds) coming out in September. And then it'll be really popular and they'll make more movies or revive the show and then Mr. Jones will be really happy...

Sigh.


Just do it. And remember, at one point here, I did use the magic word.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: